Mountain Line, Missoula’s community bus service, is operated by the Missoula Urban Transportation District (MUTD). Founded in 1976, Mountain Line provides fixed route and paratransit Zero-fare bus service funded by 14 Missoula community partners, helping employees get to work, students get to school, and keeping seniors and those with disabilities active and mobile. By reducing congestion, improving air quality, and providing safe and reliable transportation, Mountain Line improves the quality of life for everyone in our community.
- History » View a timeline of Mountain Line’s history from our inception in 1976.
- Facts » Learn more about Mountain Line and services offered.
- Budget and Planning » Learn about some of Mountain Line’s planning objectives.
- Board of Directors » Meet our Board of Directors, and view meeting schedule, agenda and minutes.
- Doing Business » Learn about business and advertising opportunities and view public notices.
- Contact Us» Contact us for more information.
Recent Service Improvements
In August of 2012, Mountain Line added 15-minute high-frequency BOLT! service to Route 1 pursuant to Phase I implementation of MUTD’s 30-year Long Range Plan, developed with community input in 2012. In November 2013, MUTD voters passed a $1.7 million levy to fund Phase II improvements, which included BOLT! Service on Route 2 and Late Evening service until 10pm on Routes 1, 2, 6, and, 7, beginning in January 2015.
Mountain Line began operating fare-free on all routes in January 2015 as part of a three year Zero-fare demonstration project, funded by 14 community partners, including The University of Montana, Associated Students of The University of Montana, City of Missoula, County of Missoula, the Missoula Metropolitan Planning Organization, St Patrick Hospital, Community Medical Center, Missoula County Public Schools, Missoula Aging Services, Missoula Downtown Association, Missoula Parking Commission, Missoulian, Southgate Mall, and Homeword, Inc. Destination Missoula joined the group as a partner in 2016.
|CALENDAR YEAR||TOTAL RIDES|
|2015 - Zero-fare/Phase II||933,694|
|2012 - Phase I||897,888
Mountain Line In the News
- Downtown Missoula’s Parking Puzzle – Missoulian, July 22, 2017
- Mountain Line Gets Zero-fare Extension – Missoula Independent, July 20, 2017
- Housing, commercial project set to transform Midtown, Missoula Current, June 30, 2017
- Driver stepping off to “go cowboy” after 28 years at Mountain Line – Missoula Current, April 28, 2017
- Transit, development highlight pending Brooks St. study – Missoula Current, April 27, 2017
- Brooks St. Corridor study details need – KPAX-TV, Feb. 23, 2017
- Mountain Line Ready for new zero fare push – Missoula Current, Jan. 5 2017
- Mountain Line looks at zero fare extension as ridership numbers stay strong – KPAX-TV, Jan. 4, 2017
- Mountain Line offers free coffee, pastries to celebrate two years of zero fare – Missoulian, Jan. 4, 2017
- Mountain Line celebrates zero-fare services with treats Jan. 5 – KTMF-TV, Jan. 4, 2017
- Missoula’s Mountain Line celebrates record growth – KPAX-TV, Jan. 2, 2017
- Mountain Line sets passenger records in 2016 – Missoula Current, Dec. 24, 2016
- Mountain Line to motorists: When the flashing begins, let the bus in – Missoula Current, Dec. 8, 2016
- Mountain Line asks Griz fans to do their part to feed hungry families in Western MT – KPAX-TV, Nov. 17, 2016
- Mountain Line shows continued interest in electric buses – KPAX-TV, Sept. 30, 2016
- Mountain Line surpasses ridership projections – Missoula Current, Sept. 20, 2016
- Planning expert joins Mountain Line board – Missoula Current, July 19, 2016
- Mountain Line sets all-time monthly ridership record – KPAX-TV, April 21, 2016
- Mountain Line shatters all-time ridership record with continued growth – Missoula Current, April 20, 2016
- Mountain Line starts 2016 with record ridership – Missoula Current, March 24, 2016
- Mountain Line to celebrate early success of Zero Fare campaign – KPAX-TV, Jan. 25, 2016
- Mountain Line to keep momentum in 2016 – Missoula Current, Dec. 28, 2015
- Mountain Line helps bring in donations for Can The Bobcats Food Drive – Missoulian, Nov. 15, 2015
- Zero fares helping to break another record for Mountain Line – KPAX-TV, Oct. 20, 2015
- Mountain Line celebrating Bike Walk Bus Week – KPAX-TV, Sept. 21, 2015
- Mountain Line Bus system sets yet another ridership record – Missoulian, May 7, 2015
- New Mountain Line GM likes what he sees – KAJ18-TV, Feb. 22, 2015
- Missoula’s Mountain Line hires new general manager – Missoulian, Jan. 23, 2015
- Free ride: Mountain Line unveils zero fare, expanded service – Missoula Independent, Jan. 8, 2015
- Riders take advantage of first day of free Mountain Line bus service – Missoulian, Jan. 5, 2015
Recent News Releases
- Routes Detoured for River City Roots Fest Street Closure
- Mountain Line Route 2 Detoured for Russell Bridge Repaving 8/29 and 8/30
- Route 1 Outbound Detoured to Broadway from Front St.
- Missoula children’s band, The Whizpops star in new Mountain Line video
- MUTD Board Meeting for July 27, 2017 Cancelled