Frequently Asked Questions

How much does it cost to ride the bus?

All of Mountain Line’s services are Zero-fare.  That means that anyone can board a Mountain Line bus without having to pay a fare.  This applies to Fixed Route, Paratransit, and Senior Van services.

Where can I get a schedule?

Schedules are available on all Mountain Line buses, at the Mountain Line Transfer Center and at several locations throughout the service area.

Where can I get on the bus? Do I have to wait at a bus stop?

Generally, bus stops are located every two blocks on each route. Wait by a bus stop sign or signal the driver at any intersection where the bus can stop safely. It is best to wait on the far side of the intersection, boarding the bus after it has passed through the intersection.

Do you operate on Sunday?


Do you operate on holidays?

Holiday closures are listed in the Closures section.

How late do buses operate?

Bus service ends at 9:50pm on routes 1, 2, 6 and 7 while service ends between 7:15 pm and 7:45 pm on all other routes.

How early do buses operate?

Bus service begins between 6:00 am and 6:45 am, depending on the route.

How often do the buses run?

Most buses run twice per hour during morning (6:45 am – 9:45 am) and afternoon (2:45 pm – 5:45 pm) peak periods and once per hour mid-day.

Can I take my bike on the bus?

Yes. All buses carry up to three bikes. See the Bikes on Buses section.

Are the buses mobility device accessible?

Yes. All Mountain Line buses are 100% Americans With Disabilities Act Accessible.

Can I take my pet on the bus?

Pets must be confined to a carry on, lap-size box.

Do you go to Lolo?

No, Lolo is outside the District boundaries. However, organizations like the Missoula Ravalli Transportation Management Association (MRTMA) and Bitterroot Bus serve this area.  Check the Transportation Related Links section for vanpools serving Lolo and the Bitterroot Valley.

Can I take a stroller on the bus?

Yes. Once on the bus, strollers must be kept out of the aisles.

Do I have to signal the driver?

It is recommended that you signal the driver.

What proof is required to be eligible for the reduced senior and disabled fare?

A valid drivers license or non driver identification card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles, a Medicare card, or an eligibility card from another bus system which verifies disability or age.

Does Mountain Line have a lost and found?

Items found on a bus or at the Transfer Center are kept for one month.  Call 721-3333 for more information.